Named after George Peck’s daughter. George Peck was the man many refer to as the builder of San Pedro. George H. Peck, the famous philanthropist and benefactor, arrived in San Pedro in 1882 as a conductor on the Southern Pacific Railroad. He liked what he saw, quit his job and entered the real estate business. He became a subdivider, home builder, lumberman and contractor and he started the Bank of San Pedro (later to become United California Bank) in 1888. Within a short time he had enormous holdings. A few of the tracts he laid out were Point Fermin, Harbor View, Catalina View and South Shores. He also owned the land which is Point Fermin Park.
Named after the family that oned the Averill Weymouth Company, early land developers in San Pedro. They developed the Vista del Oro section of town, approximately 1,000 acres they purchased from Rudecinda Sepulveda deDodson. The family was from Maine and included the three Averill brothers Horace, Herbert, and Dr. George plus George’s brother-in-law, Harry L. Weymouth.
Arcadia Bandini was from the old prestigious Californio family and was married to John T. Gaffey (see Gaffey Street). Together they lived in a sprawling Spanish-style hacienda at the corner of Third and Bandini Streets. The home was demolished in the 1960s to make way for the modern YMCA.
The avenue and beach are named for Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo who sailed into San Pedro Bay in October of 1542, on a voyage of exploration for the Viceroy of New Spain. Cabrillo was Portuguese, but working in the service of Spain. There is no evidence to prove conclusively that Cabrillo or any of his men actually set foot on shore.
Not named in 1914 after General Douglas MacArthur but for his father, Lt. General Arthur MacArthur, a Civil War Medal of Honor recipient.
John T. Gaffey was an ardent San Pedro booster, California Senator Stephen M. White’s campaign manager, real estate developer and financier.
The street and Hamilton Tract were named for John D. Hamilton. He was secretary of the Harbor Boat Building company. Mr. Hamilton was born in Chicago on October 30, 1899. He attended San Pedro High School and was a member of the Elks. He never married.
This street first appeared in the city directory in 1925. At the time there was only one home, 3720, which was shown as unoccupied until 1928 when Miss Edith Patterson and U.S. Navy Captain and Mrs. E. Edgar Stone (her name was Allie) appeared to be the residents. The house and several adjacent lots were owned by William A. Jackstadt. His wife’s name was Jesse and they lived at 3603 Almeria. Mr. Jackstadt had come to San Pedro in 1924 and his profession was salesman. Records show that by 1926 he had gone into the real estate business. City directories indicate that William and Jesse never actually lived on Jackstadt Street.
Named after George Peck’s son. Records show Peck’s daughter Rena had a park and a street named for her. Santa Rena Street was renamed Walker and the whereabouts of the park is a mystery. Daughter Alma had a street named after her (see Alma Street) but son William never had anything named for him. Peck Avenue and Peck Park are both named after George H. Peck.
Named for one of the two men who engineered the San Pedro Bay breakwater, a project started in 1899 and completed in 1911. His name was Capt. James J. Meyler. His colleague was Capt. Amos A. Fries (Fries Avenue in Wilmington). Both men worked for the Army Corps of Engineers.
The street is named for George S. Patton, II, the father of the World War II hero, General George S. “Blood and Guts” Patton, III. George S. Patton, II served as district attorney of Los Angeles County.
Point Fermin Park
Named in 1793 by British explorer George Vancouver as a thank you to Father Fermin Francisco de Lasuen for the hospitality he showed Vancouver and his crew at the mission in Carmel.
San Pedro Bay
Named by Spanish explorer Sebastian Vizcaino, who anchored there on Saint Peter’s Day, November 26, 1602. Rancho San Pedro’s name was derived from the Bay of San Pedro on which it was bordered.
Silvius Street first appeared in the San Pedro/Wilmington city directory in 1926. There was one house on the street, 1343. No one appeared to live in the house until 1928. The man who lived there then was Allen Albt. The home was designed by a young Los Angeles architect named Paul T. Silvius. It was not clear if Mr. Silvius owned the lot and named the street after himself or if Mr. Albt named the street, or even if someone downtown just used the name of the architect of record.
Rear Admiral John G. Walker was chairman of the commission, known as the Walker Board, that investigated the feasibility of constructing a federal breakwater in either Santa Monica or San Pedro. In 1897, the Walker Board submitted the report nominating San Pedro as the best location.
Weymouth Avenue & Place
(see Averill Avenue)
This area of land, which juts out into the sea to form a point more than 100 feet above sea level, has been called both “White Point” and “White’s Point”. The origin of the name is disputed. One version is that it was named for a sailor named White, who jumped ship and swam to shore at this spot, thus “White’s Point”. Another version is that sailors used the cliff face as a landmark, because it’s altamira shale appears white, and that they named it “White Point”. A third opinion is that it was named after Senator Stephen White, who led the political fight for development of the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro. The area was officially termed “White Point” in lease agreements signed around the turn of the century by the owner, Roman Sepulveda. The San Pedro Bay Historical Society favors “White Point”, based on this authenticated documentation.
Wilder Addition, also refered to as Wilders Annex, of Point Fermin Park, was named after the Charles T. Wilder family which donated the 6.9 acres south of Paseo del Mar to the City of Los Angeles in lieu of back taxes owed on the property.
Many thanks to Madeleine Drake for her research on Palisades street names for the 1999 Palisades Perspective newsletter.